One thing I can tell you is you’ve got to be free.
– Come Together, The Beatles
Today is my 24th birthday! While I’ll be spending it at a Disney park and eating a boatload of chocolate (shocking!), I also wanted to take this chance to commemorate the last year I can call my early twenties (eek!) with some writing! I’ve compiled a list of lessons I’ve learned over the years – specifically in the past year, as there were a lot of lessons – to share. I still have to remind myself sometimes to take my own advice, and it’s not always easy seeing the bright side, but hopefully this serves as an inspiration.
- Change will come. Embrace it.
- You always have a choice.
- It’s a tough world out there. Cherish the ones you love, and make them a priority.
- Your health and happiness are the most important.
- Find joy in the simple things.
- No, you’re never too old for Disney.
- Try to see the positive, even when it’s the hard thing to do.
- Say what you need to say. (Stole that from John Mayer, but it’s so true.)
- Be honest with yourself and others.
- Letting go is hard, but sometimes it’s necessary.
- Good communication solves a lot of problems.
- Pursue your passions.
- Don’t be so concerned with other people’s opinions.
- A new attitude can change everything.
- Surround yourself with uplifting people and things.
- Give the benefit of the doubt – to an extent.
- Don’t give up.
- Have good posture. It does more than you think.
- It’s totally OK to re-watch The Office for the fiftieth time.
- Happiness is a work in progress.
- If you don’t have confidence in yourself, no one else will.
- Everything turns out fine in the end.
- Cuddle your cat as much as you can.
- Be excited for the next chapter.
That’s it! Thanks so much for being here, and I can’t wait to share even more things I’ll learn being 24. If you have your own personal lessons and inspo, I’d love to hear them! Feel free to comment or email me.
Now I’m going to put on my Minnie ears and eat too many fries.