It’s here. I’m 25 years old. This number has always been good to me, and I’m not sure why. The day my now-husband and I started dating was Jan. 25. We got engaged on Christmas, which is Dec. 25. I bought my first car on Nov. 25. My license plate has 25 in it, randomly. I got my first manuscript request on July 25, which is also my cat’s birthday.
So for those reasons, I’m excited for my 25th year. Keeping up with a tradition I started last year, I’m writing today 25 things I’ve learned in 25 years (Most having happened in the past year. Gotta keep it fresh).
1. Trying to please everyone is a miserable way to go about life. Be considerate, offer help, and be kind. But don’t let other people dictate your life simply because you’re afraid of letting them down.
2. It’s dangerous to play it safe.
3. Go with your gut. It’s usually right.
4. Sometimes, getting a ‘no’ is the best thing that could happen to you. More on this in an upcoming post.
5. You truly can’t control how other people act. Only how you do.
6. People come into and depart your life for a reason. Don’t try to keep them there if the universe is taking them out.
7. Apologize when you’re wrong, even if you only realize it years later. Even if you get totally ignored, you can move on and know you did all you could.
8. Don’t let negative feelings consume you and ruin your day (still mastering this).
9. Make an effort. Nothing is going to just come to you, whether it’s career opportunities or friends. Take action.
10. Do not let the fear of other people judging you keep you from pursuing your dreams.
11. On that note, stop caring about what other people think. It truly doesn’t matter.
12. You’re not obligated to take or even listen to unsolicited advice.
13. Stop making excuses.
14. Sometimes the unconventional way or approach is so much better than the traditional, safe way.
15. You can heal from even the most devastating things. But it will take time.
16. No matter what, never stop writing and creating.
17. Growth doesn’t happen where you’re comfortable.
18. Just because someone asks you a question doesn’t mean you have to answer it, especially when it’s not their business.
19. If you feel like you’re burning out, rest and reset.
20. Don’t give up. Ever.
21. Be present in the moment. Anxiety clouds the mind and steals so much joy. Be mindful.
22. Social media is great and also terrible. Remember that it’s the highlights, and everyone is promoting an image. Nobody has a perfect life, no matter how much they try to make it look that way.
23. There are few things that chocolate and wine can’t fix.
24. You don’t have to deny negative feelings in order to be positive. Never, ever suppress how you feel just because it feels contrary to a positive mindset. Being positive also means addressing difficult emotions and learning. You can be positive and nice and also say ‘shit’ when someone cuts you off in traffic.
25. Learn to let things go. It’s easy to be heavy, and hard to be light.
And that’s it! I’m always open to other life lessons and tips. Comment some – I’d love to see them.